The renovations are complete! I still want to do some before and after pictures but for now, here is what the house looks like at this point:
Ok, so I know I said I was going to try to update soon in my last post, but I didn’t and I’m sorry. I guess I’m terrible at keeping my word. I did have to go out of town again, this time for a high school graduation (congratulations, T!). That’s not really the reason I haven’t updated, though. The truth is, I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed with the house again, and the sheer amount of work to be done. It’s just all the decisions, and planning, and doing, and ordering things. I’ve been waiting for my contractor to finish for four months now. All of it together, is just a lot of stress. Luckily, things are beginning to look up again. I have a renewed interest, mostly bolstered by the exciting things to come. More on those things later…
For now, let’s discuss what I have actually finished. I tool up the baseboards in the dining room, and all the moldings around the doors. I left the window moldings for now, due to thekunfortunate incident where I tried to remove the molding, and pulled the whole window out. Oops. I really have to watch those rotten sills! We also cleaned up a lot of the plaster. The most important thing I have completed recently is a plan. The plan is to get the house buttoned up before winter. Everything else can wait until next year. I also have come to terms with the fact that I am basically building the house from scratch. I tried to fight this for a long time, after my uncle pointed it out. It is true. It may be the same frame and blueprint, but I have to put in new windows, a new roof, new sheathing, new siding, drywall, insulation, plumbing, and wiring. Sure, it’ll have old doors and moldings, but the house is just too far deteriorated to pretend it can all be saved.
Ok, enough rambling and apologizing. Here are the pictures!
I forgot to upload this picture along with the others. I was just going to leave it off. I wasn’t sure if anyone was really interested in seeing a large drainage ditch with stuff over it. Honestly, it’s not exactly picturesque. However, since part of this blog is actually about the projects, I decided to keep it.
See, in the town there is a large drainage ditch running along the side street. The street is really more of a glorified alley, but whatever. Most of the other houses in the neighborhood have covered theirs over, but left some sort of pipe or drainage system intact. This seems to work well in the town, no water stands in the yard of those that have done this properly, so we decided to do it, too. Now, we happen to have this huge piece of pipe leftover from a drainage issue on another piece of property that was exactly the right size for the piece of concrete pipe that is buried under the driveway. We plan to buy more pipe slowly and fill in until we can connect the pipe to the pipe running under the main street. Because our land is uneven, the pipe starts out this big and will slowly taper down to a piece about 10 inches in diameter.
Eventually, we plan to cover it with dirt, but right now, this has become our area for all biodegradable/non-harmful materials. Such as the lath and the branches. For awhile, it looked like Vlad the Impaler lived there, as the lath was sticking straight up like stakes. We soon fixed that, safety first!
As I said a few weeks ago, the changes this month have been small. The lath is gone, and we’ve taken some molding down and pulled out nails, but I’m not sure the changes are that obvious. Also, credit for most of these changes goes to my marvelous sister. She took every piece of lath out while I was writing a paper for grad school. She is officially awesome.
Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better…
All the old stuff is out! The house has completely changed.