Renovating this house has been an educational experience of sorts. I learned to properly use dust masks by pinching the metal part to fit your face. I have discovered signs indicating a termite infestation. I have seen the usefulness of putty knives, and I have a whole new set of vocabulary words – utility bar, squares, caps, sistering, blocking, etc.
A possible result of my ongoing renovation education, I have been become a much better bargain hunter. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been fond of sales and saving money, it’s just that I don’t usually go out and hunt these things down. It all started when I hired a new contractor. He is my uncle’s good friend, but lives out-of-state. So, I am in charge of getting materials for the upcoming jobs. Armed with my list, I have contacted every hardware store, lumber supplier, and siding manufacturer that I could find within 45 miles. I looked for the best prices, made comparisons, called for estimates, and wrote everything down in handy lists. I even learned how to make double-sided copies on the machine at work to run the lists off! I checked for deals, I found coupons. Basically, I did everything I could to save money, and more importantly, I think it worked out. Lowes was having a sale on windows, so every one of them was 15% off. I signed up for moving coupons. I found french doors on clearance. I received discounts from sales people trying to beat my other estimates. Ultimately, I think we manages to save quite a bit, even though the front door was a bit of a splurge. I saved some money, I learned some new skills. Both pretty valuable to this renovation…although, finding a bag of gold under the floorboards would probably be more helpful.
In celebration for getting the electricity turned on, so that I can actually listen to music as I clean, here is a wolf playlist of some of my favorites for you all to enjoy:
All these link to youtube videos, if you want to listen!
Wolf notepad that was in the house
1. Howl – Florence and the Machine – listen
2. The Lion and the Wolf – Thrice – listen
3. Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran – listen
4. All Babes are Wolves – Spinnerette – listen
5. Wolfsblood – The Misfits – listen
6. Wolves at my Door – Converge – listen
7. Howlin’ For You – The Black Keys – listen
8. Werecat – Tiger Army – listen
9. Bark at the Moon – Ozzy Osbourne – listen
10. I was a Teenage Werewolf – The Cramps – listen
11. Falling in Love with the Wolfboy – The Magnetic Fields – listen
12. Werewolf – Cat Power – listen
13. Home – Leona Naess – listen
Thanks to my friends and my sister for helping find the songs. If you know any other good ones, please post them!